This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 25, 2014

What's Happened At The West?

It would be churlish to dwell on the prolonged silence, until relatively recently, of the West Australian on the debacle that Barnett calls 'local government reform'.

But something has happened in the past couple of months, with articles, opinion pieces and letters critical of Barnett on a range of issues - including aspects of the excellent series of articles by Gareth Parker and Kent Acott on transport and Vancouver (http://sustainabletransportcoalitionofwa.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/lack-of-transparency-in-transport.html).

But today tops them all. In addition to Paul Murray's piece mentioned in my previous post (http://ianrker-vincent.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/the-strength-of-agreement-barnetts-in.html), there is another opinion piece from Gareth Parker (admittedly mildly critical of the Nationals for taking a stand on a metropolitan issue - albeit one that Barnett has forced them into by his duplicity), five letters, an article and even a piece in Inside Cover.

I particularly like the piece in Inside Cover, as it has John Hammond (who is also my lawyer in the action before the Supreme Court) admitting he has changed his mind over amalgamations. To the extent that I might have contributed to this, I feel extraordinarily pleased to claim that I helped change a lawyer's mind. Sorry John!

Incidentally, Simpson doesn't look very happy in the photo from the media briefing - his 'legacy' is rapidly turning to s#@t, aided by Barnett's rolling him on the LGAB recommendations on Perth and Vincent. With friends like that, Homer, you don't need enemies.



No comments:

Post a Comment